Smooth and Grooved Drum Surfaces
Smooth and grooved drum oil skimmer technology has been extensively tested by Ohmsett and researched by the Bren School of Environmental Science and Management, University of California, Santa Barbara. Grooved drums have a higher recovery rate with viscous oils, whereas smooth drums offer higher efficiency with lighter oils such as diesel.
How Drum Skimmers Work
As the floating drums rotate, oil adheres to the surface separating it from the water. Wiper blades (scrapers) remove the oil from the drums, depositing it into the collection trough where it is pumped to a storage location. Elastec drum skimmer systems are available in pneumatic, diesel or electric power. A drum skimmer test model is available for demonstration.
Elastec drum type skimmers can also be applied in industrial applications.
Circus Skimmer with Counter Rotating Drums and E150 Pump
Circus skimmer with TDS118 Grooved drum skimmer (reversible) with counter rotating drums, recovered oil is discharged with the integral E150 pump via 2 inch discharge. Note: requires D10 diesel hydraulic power pack and hydraulic hoses. LEARN MORE
Advantages of Elastec Drum Skimmers
- Selective recovery of a wide range of oils
- Operates in as little as 3 inches / 75 mm of water
- No buoyancy adjustments required
- Molded PE drums (no external skin to replace)
- Rugged and lightweight design
- Self-adjusting wipers (scrapers)
- Grooved drums and discs available for enhanced recovery rates
- Range of options including steam coils for icing conditions
- Internationally patented