Elastec celebrated their 30th anniversary on May 1, 2020. The company was founded in 1990 with the invention of the two-drum oil skimmer. The patented product changed the oil spill response industry and set the foundation for the company to grow into the world’s largest manufacturer of environmental response equipment.
What started as two vacuum truck operators in the Illinois Oil Basin has grown into a 120+ employee company with three locations in Illinois and one in Florida. Elastec, along with over 50 plus years of experience with floating barriers for oil, debris, and silt from American Marine, grew to be world-renowned for manufacturing high-quality oil spill response equipment and containment boom. Recently, Elastec branched out to focus on waterway trash & debris, plastic pollution, and municipal waste disposal systems. We also provide vacuum systems, baffles and turbidity curtains, power units, pumps, boats, and an ever-growing catalog of products.
Some of Elastec’s highlights include:
- Working with University of California, Santa Barbara to develop Grooved Drum technology
- Spearheading the 2010 Gulf of Mexico in-situ burn operations with U.S. Coast Guard and setting a Guinness World Record™ for Longest Continuous Oil Spill Burn at Sea
- Winning first prize in the Wendy Schmidt Oil Cleanup X CHALLENGE
- Providing MediBurn Medical Incinerators during the 2014 Ebola outbreak in Africa
- Multiple appearances in the Inc. 500 | “5,000 Fastest Growing Companies” list
Elastec continues to focus on creating solutions to help combat pollution and other environmental problems. Current efforts are being put into providing MediBurn Medical Incinerators to help in the fight against COVID-19.
With 80 years of combined manufacturing experience, Elastec (Carmi and Fairfield, Illinois) and its American Marine division (Cocoa, Florida) design, develop, and distribute environmental products such as oil spill response equipment, floating containment booms and barriers, and portable incinerators in 155 countries.